Director, Translational Sciences
Mozart Therapeutics is an early-stage biopharmaceutical company located in Seattle, focused on developing novel immune modulators that specifically target a subset of T lymphocytes to delay the onset and ameliorate targeted autoimmune diseases. The company is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual who can work in a dynamic start-up environment to take on the strategic and scientific leadership role for Mozart’s Translational Science group. The successful candidate will be a skilled immunologist/cell biologist and provide leadership and oversight in the execution of studies that directly contribute to the discovery, validation, and development of Mozart development candidates. The position requires broad knowledge and hands-on experience of in vitro and in vivo studies to understand foundational T cell biology and impact of therapeutics on T cell functions, with expertise in autoimmune diseases and models of autoimmune disease. A strong track record of previous scientific contributions resulting in program progression towards clinical development and demonstrated ability in successfully managing others is required.
- Provide scientific leadership and execution for one or more research programs including developing strategies for preclinical validation of therapeutic candidates, proof-of-concept, and final lead selection.
- Cross functionally, guide team to develop project plans, timelines, goals, and milestones.
- Strategically align project plans with company’s comprehensive long range project planning to advance projects through the research pipeline into clinical development.
- Lead the design, analysis, and reporting of experimental plans required for the successful development of biologics as therapeutic candidates.
- Oversee day to day lab operations, interacting with scientific research team as needed to assist in their execution of experiments, including providing guidance on real time contingencies and alternative approaches.
- Resolve issues, questions, and coach team technical execution of bench research.
- Identify appropriate CROs for execution of translational in vitro and in vivo studies, prepare cross-departmental study plans, SOWs, manage and direct timely and within budget execution of studies at CROs on behalf of Mozart-Tx
- Collaborate and contribute to multidisciplinary teams in the progression of therapeutic candidate molecules.
- Represent the company/program teams at scientific conferences and in internal meetings with senior management.
- Contribute to regulatory documents and associated materials.
- Hire, lead manage and mentor Scientists and Research Associates for scientific development within the team.
- Ph.D. in immunology, cell biology, immunology or a related field and a minimum of 10+ years’ progressive experience in research stage drug development and translational sciences in the therapeutic areas of immunology and/or autoimmune diseases in a biotechnology setting.
- 3 + years of experience in supervising others, leading scientific teams, and working in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrate a track record in advancing a project through the research pipeline to IND submissions and understanding of drug development.
- Broad conceptual experience in the design of the experimental strategy, path and project plan in translational systems including in vivo and ex vivo human systems and animal models for the development of immune-modulating therapeutics in autoimmune disease.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced, and collaborative matrix environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Excellent critical thinking and scientific acumen, with a demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, and clearly communicate (orally and in writing) complex results and their impact to program and regulatory strategy.
- Previous experience and successful track record of pre-clinical drug development, including the development of immune modulatory biologics.
- Leading junior personnel, ensure internal alignment and consistency across team members in experimental design, analysis, and reporting
- Prior project/leadership experience is preferred
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills.
- Experience working in highly collaborative and dynamic research environment.
Mozart Therapeutics is an innovative, fast paced, collaborative culture looking to hire individuals who are seeking to make a significant contribution to advancing and developing novel immune modulators that target a subset of T lymphocytes to improve clinical outcomes in patients with autoimmune diseases. We are a well-funded privately held biopharmaceutical company founded in 2020. We offer our employees competitive compensation and benefits, including paid time off, health insurance, life insurance, 401(k) and stock options. Qualified candidates should forward their resumes to email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer.